Puzzlewood

Puzzlewood

Oil on canvas, 7″ x 5″

When I started this it was to try out a new paint I had just made, but as I expanded the swatches and added more colors it began to look like a forest, so I named it after a place in England I’ve read about called Puzzlewood.

There’s a system to how I placed the swatches. Look at the far left column and go down to the 4th row, in the center. That’s orange ochre. The square to the right of it is the same paint but brushed thinly, and then to the right of that is a 50/50 mix of orange ochre with titanium white. So every color I used is a set of three swatches that includes one full strength, one thin, and one mixed with white. Above the orange ochre I mixed increasing amounts of lemon ochre and for each step I repeated that pattern of also including a thin swatch and a swatch with white. Below it I added burnt sienna dark.

Now look at the next set of three columns. The pattern is reversed so the swatches with white come first in the 4th column, then the thin swatches in the 5th, and full strength in the 6th. In the center I started with malachite. Above that it’s mixed with lemon ochre again and below it’s mixed with viridian.

The next set of three columns goes back to the first pattern. Venetian red is in the center, and it’s the paint that I had made just before starting this painting. This is actually where I started from because I didn’t plan out all of this before starting. Above it is a mix with lemon ochre again, but this time it’s different because the very top set is actually just straight lemon ochre, with none of the paint from the center mixed in. The bottom set is straight German earth. Again, I hadn’t planned out everything at this point, so the top and bottom swatches of the center column set is the only place that I actually used paint straight from the tube for either a top or bottom set.

Columns 10-12 start with viridian in the center and mix upward with more lemon ochre and down with burnt sienna dark. The last set of columns has burnt sienna dark in the center and goes up with lemon ochre and down with German earth.

Puzzlewood Guide

So here’s the list of each color I used and the brands-

1. Orange ochre – PY43, self made with pigment from Natural Pigments
2. Italian lemon ochre – PY43, Williamsburg
3. Malachite – synthetic malachite, self made with pigment from Kremer Pigments
4. Venetian red – PR102, self made with pigment from Natural Pigments
5. German earth – Natural PBk11, Williamsburg
6. Viridian – PG18, M Graham
7. Burnt sienna dark – PBr7, self made with pigment from Natural Pigments
Titanium white – PW6, Williamsburg

Deepest Forest

Deepest Forest

Oil on glass

An abstract experiment. I was making some oil paint today using terre verte pigment (PG23) from Sennelier and I liked the way it spread on the grinding plate. That’s a little more than half a tube worth of paint. Of course, after taking the photo I scraped it all up to put it in a tube.

Silver Forest

Oil on steel

I thought the paint on my palette knife looked like trees with a silvery cloud moving over them. ^_^

edit- aaaah! I knew I hadn’t posted anything in a while, but I didn’t think it’d been over half a month. I have a lot of paintings I’ve been working on, and a few are even finished or close to it, so… yeah. I guess I’ll have some more posts coming shortly. 🙂

Last Light

Last Light 2

I took this photo a little over two months ago while on a train passing through a canyon in the Rocky Mountains. It was evening and the sun wasn’t shining directly into the canyon, but the red rock walls above us were still lit and gave a golden glow to the river.

Snow Woods

Since these photos were taken through the window of a moving train at trees that were mostly very close, I had a hard time getting photos that weren’t blurry. The ones with the whole photo filled with foliage and snow look to me like paintings that had white and greenish black paint dripped all over. The photos aren’t actually in black and white. Everything was grey like that because of the weather.

Urland

Watercolor on Fabriano soft press paper, 5″x5.5″

A quick landscape painted on a leftover scrap of paper.

I haven’t really felt much like painting lately because it’s been so hot. Recently it’s been anywhere from 104°F (40°C) to 110°F (43.333°C) and I don’t have air conditioning. You know that it’s been hot when you’re glad to see it’s “only” 104. I got some new watercolors from Rublev a few of days ago and I really want to start using them.

Also, I’ve been posting stages of development for some new pixel art on twitter if you guys want to check it out. If not I’ll be posting it all here when it’s done maybe tomorrow.