Here’s another painting of one of my old photos, taken out a train window in the high country of Colorado during winter.
I’ve added a gallery section to the right that displays on each page and shows some of my past artworks in random order. Does it look good and work well? Is there anything in it that isn’t good enough and just clutters it?
I tried putting all of the finished waterfall book pages in that section and I liked it but I was actually planning on making that its own page and gallery once it’s finished. Another idea was to sometimes upload new sketches there that shouldn’t have a post just to themselves but can still be shown as part of a gallery. I’ll try out a few things, but if you guys have any feedback on it that might help.
Watercolor on 140lb cold pressed paper, 8″ x 5.75″
This is another field near the county park. It usually has dark colored cattle in it, either eating grass or laying in the shade. I think I need to practice animals more, or maybe just stop making everything so small. At this scale it just takes a very small mistake to completely change the shape of something. Maybe my next painting will be much bigger…
The sky is a light wash of a blue mixed with white. For the trees I used green earth and Payne’s grey, with a small amount of raw umber in the trunks. The grass is a mix of light yellow ochre, brown ochre, and buff titanium, with some raw umber in the dark parts. The cattle are a mix of Payne’s grey and raw umber. I’ve never been a fan of Payne’s grey, but I’m experimenting with it. The buff titanium I’ve had for a couple of years but I think this might be the first time I’ve used it in a painting. It helped get the color of dried grass. All of the grass in this area is very dry and we’ve had a lot of large wildfires recently.
Here’s the two reference photos I used, taken on different days at different times of day.
Here’s a nice view of the train I was on while it was making a turn through the mountains. In some of these and other photos I was trying for a more abstract scene. Of the 900+ photos that I started with I think I’ve trimmed them down to just 55 or less that are good enough to upload.