Twilight on Seine

Twilight on Seine

Self-made watercolor on board, 5″x7″

Another copy of a painting by Monet, original seen here, except I changed it to be a different time of day with different colors.

I’m not 100% sure what board this it, but I think it’s a gesso board meant for oil and acrylic. I found it in a stack of boards and canvases and I thought I’d try watercolor on it because it’s been a long time since I’ve done that. This was made with two paints, hansa yellow medium and ultramarine blue, and I made both of them myself. The yellow pigment I bought from Daniel Smith and the ultramarine I bought from Blue Ridge.

Normally when I make watercolor paint I only make a small amount and keep it in small plastic containers that are meant for dipping sauces, but because I have an entire pound (453g) of ultramarine pigment I thought I’d finally try making enough paint to fill a 15ml tube that I bought from Daniel Smith. I think I used about 2.5 teaspoons of pigment (about 12.3ml), as well as some gum arabic, honey, and glycerin. I’m still experimenting with different ratios of the ingredients and I wasn’t sure how much pigment would be needed to fill a tube.

Paint Tubing 1

On the left are the two paints that I used and the plastic sauce containers I keep them in. There was a little bit of extra blue because I didn’t want to overfill the tube and have it spill out, so I put it in a plastic container too. These containers are very useful because they have lids that I can write on with a black marker things like how much of each ingredient I used in that paint.

On the right is the filled tube (it still needs a label) and an empty tube. See the highlight on the empty tube, where the light bends a little and isn’t straight? There’s a slight dent there and that’s the point the tube needs to be filled to. You don’t have to fill the tube all the way, but don’t go past that point. When filling the tube with paint you’ll put it in the open bottom of the tube while holding the open end upward. I scooped the paint up with my palette knife and poured it in. Then when it’s full enough you pinch it closed, clamp down tight with the pliers, fold it, use the pliers again, and then repeat once more.

It’s been about 5 days since I did all this. I tried squirting some paint out of it just now while typing this and everything seems to have worked perfectly with no leaks and the paint is just as moist as was when I filled the tube. Once I do this a few more times to be sure I’m doing it right I might take photos of every step of the process, although it’ll be hard to hold the camera while doing everything else at the same time.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s