At first I was going to try painting something abstract, but early on the shapes were looking like objects and I developed it in that direction. The composition seems too off balanced to the left to me, but it was nice to try out acrylics again for the first time in a long while.
Right now I’m several hours into what’s suppose to be the biggest storm in this area in five years. So far it’s just a lot of rain, but later tonight is when the worst part of the storm will arrive.
I was trying to make a dark neutral yesterday with a mix of burnt sienna dark and a variety of cerulean blue. To test it out I made this sketch. The paint can be used darker than this, though it’s not quite dark enough to be black. The warmer color in the sky is a light wash of the unmixed burnt sienna dark glazed over a very thin wash of the mix.
I’m experimenting more with black watercolors, white, and composition, as well as some of my favorite subjects. I don’t normally use gouache, but I filled a pan in my palette with white and used it on some of these. It looks like I’ve painted and drawn a lot of things in black recently. Maybe I’ll change gears and focus on a different color now.
Mixed media, watercolor and acrylic on paper, 6″x9″
I had attempted to repaint the sketch from the last post larger, but it just wasn’t working out. Eventually I decided to paint in the remaining white areas with a dark grey to practice with abstraction, but then they looked like mountains and I decided to go with that. The acrylic paint I added was some white and black liquid airbrush formula from Golden and some white heavy body formula from Liquitex. There’s a few mistakes, but that’s okay because the whole thing was almost one big mistake.
This is the kind of place I’d like to go to. When I started this, as I often do, I wasn’t sure what I would make and just had some basic forms. This is the result of me exploring those forms.
It’s been too long since my last post, but it’s not like I haven’t been painting. I’m actually working on a challenge in this forum thread (I’m yellow_oxide) to make 30 paintings in 30 days for the month of June. I think I have about 20 of them done, most of them already posted there, and when they’re all done I’ll post them here all at once on June 30th.
I made another painting based on Monet’s series on the Seine, such as this painting. This is yet another painting that I started a couple of months ago and then finally got around to finishing just a couple of days ago.
I don’t remember what colors I started making this with, but at the end I painted over everything transparently using lapis lazuli (natural ultramarine, Daniel Smith), lemon ochre (PY43, Williamsburg), and a lot of zinc white (PW4, Daniel Smith). Getting a good photo with accurate colors was hard, so I did some editing to this and maybe the colors are close. They’re still a bit off though.
I think that the paintings in this series by Monet are among my favorite paintings. I keep them in a folder on my computer, along with many other artworks, that I labeled ur-poems because it was the best term I could think of for them. Everything in that folder are things that, when I look at them, seem to me to be the closest representation of an ideal in my own artistic vision that I want to achieve.
I used two acrylic airbrush colors (carbon black and titanium white) from Golden with a paintbrush and also a tube of regular Golden acrylic (also carbon black). The airbrush colors come in bottles and are fluid like ink. This is my first time using them. The brush I used is called a “scrubber” and has very short and stiff bristles. It’s not the kind of brush you’d expect to use with a very fluid paint, but I liked the rawness of it.